Friday, July 22, 2011
Try These 10 Brain-Boosting Foods
A good diet improves your health, but also boosts your energy. Create a shopping list of these must-have endurance foods recommended by Dr. Mike Moreno, author of The 17 Day Diet: A Doctor’s Plan Designed for Rapid Results.
1. Beef, extra lean: High in iron, a mineral that improves memory, alertness and attention span.
2. Beets: Contains phenylalanine, an amino acid that helps relay signals from one brain cell to another.
3. Blueberries: Excellent source of antioxidants and “anthocyanins,” compounds thought to help protect brain cells from toxins, improves use of glucose in the brain, and promotes communication between brain cells.
4. Broccoli: Packed with antioxidants and phytonutrients that help protect brain tissue from toxins.
5. Carrots: High in beta carotene and other natural substances that help protect brain tissue from toxins.
6. Chicken: High in tyrosine, an amino acid required for the production of the alertness chemicals dopamine, epinephrine and norepinephrine. When your brain is producing these, you think and react more quickly, and feel more motivated, attentive and mentally energetic.
7. Citrus fruits: Contain vitamin C and other antioxidants that help maintain sharp memory and help brain cells resist damage.
8. Edamame: Contains phenylalanine, an amino acid that helps relay signals from one brain cell to another.
9. Eggs: High in the B vitamin choline, which helps with memory.
10. Egg whites: High in protein, which can improve alertness by increasing levels of norepinephrine, which helps keep your brain at its sharpest.